What a Sight!

 

     I am the benefactor of two cornea transplants. Cornea transplants made possible by two amazing donors. People whom I never met. People who gave of themselves so that I could see things clearly. Let me explain. I inherited a cornea disease called Fuch's Dystrophy, which causes cloudy or hazy vision and, if not corrected, can lead to blindness. 

    The transplants, which were done separately, quickly resulted in 20/20 eyesight. After recovery I could see the texture of Leyland Cypress trees lining the borders of our property. I could read fineprint of ads. I could read without a book's print touching my nose. I am thankful for organ donors! No words can adequately express my gratitude for the gifts that these two precious people gave to a total stranger. But I can try. I'll use three: What a sight!

    Thinking about these three combinations of letters causes me not only to focus on how I see myself but also, how others see me. Regardless of what some may think, how others see us is important. Studies show we only have a few seconds to make a good impression. We never get a second chance to make a good first impression. So, we need to do all we can so others will say (in a positive way) "What a sight!"  But, knowing the importance of a good first impression and accomplishing it are two very different things. Read on and consider some tips on how to make a good impression so that others will say, "What a sight!"

    1. Smile. It's simple. Practice letting your mouth curve upward. Go further and show your teeth. A smile is inviting. It says a lot about our attitude. A smile breaks the ice. It cultivates a warm atmosphere for building relationships. 

    2. Dress appropriately. I know we live in a relaxed society. It's a dress-down world. Imagine you're a business owner and you need to interview two people for the same job. Ask yourself, "Which of the two candidates should I hire? The one who looked as though he just finished mowing a ten-acre field, or the person who took time preparing himself for the interview?" Taking a few extra minutes to spiff up could pay off. Literally.

    3. Take a positive approach to life. Negativity is out front in the attitude race. It's easier to think bad about something or someone. After all, there is a good supply of weakness, shortcomings, failures in human beings. It doesn't take much time to pick out the flaws of a family member, co-worker or a complete stranger. But, it takes time and effort to see good in a person. Focusing on the positive requires work. But here's the incentive: it becomes easier as you do it over and over again. And, you'll be a happier person.

    4. Be a giver and not a taker. Like my two cornea donors, we need to learn to give. Giving helps the one on the receiving end. That's a no-brainer. But the one who is helped the most is the giver. By giving we receive. We receive a philanthropist mindset. We look for opportunities to help others. We make this world a better place. And, we teach our children to make a difference in society. By giving we can't lose!

    There are some amazing sites in this world. The Egyptian pyramids. The Grand Canyon. The Pacific Ocean. Add your name to the list. Now go out and be an amazing sight! 

-Howell Bigham

     

Comments